Provides assistance to potentially high risk passengers suffering from a range of cognitive disabilities to board, travel in and exit a CANES Community Care staff driven vehicle safely. Disabilities may include but are not limited to frailty, cognitive or intellectual disabilities, visual and/or hearing impairment and mental illness. Assists the client to and from their home, on and off the vehicle and to and from their drop-off location. Where needed may be required to assist the client into the drop-off location to facilitate a safe handover.
- Assist the Driver with circle checks and cleaning of the vehicles at the beginning and end of each shift
- Offer stabilizing assistance to clients to and from their residence, on and off the vehicle and to and from the day program locations
- Assists clients with carrying their belongings and outer clothing during inclement weather where required
- Ensures that all clients have their seatbelts fastened and remain in their seats at all times while the vehicle is in motion
- Interacts and comforts agitated clients, reducing anxiety and defusing potential situations
- Assumes the lead role in client care in the event of an emergency enroute including situations of dizziness, vomiting, confusion or any other client care issue
- Calls clients 10 minutes before pickup to avoid overdue stress on clients
- Arranges client seating for comfort and behavior monitoring
- Follows all policies and procedures as required to maintain a healthy and safe working environment
- Perform other duties as required
- Grade 10 education or equivalent
- Ability to communicate effectively in English (written and verbal)
- Physically and emotionally able to perform the duties
- 6 months to one year of experience working with seniors
- First Aid/CPR Level C Certification
- Recent clear Police Reference Check with Vulnerable Sector Screening
- Current immunization/vaccine record with clear TB
- Enjoys working with seniors and able to contribute to the quality of life of seniors and adults with disabilities by promoting their independence, dignity, social emotional and physical well being
HOURS OF WORK: May be required to work non-traditional hours
TERMS OF EMPLOYMENT: Permanent Part-time (Unionized position under CUPE Local 3808 Collective Agreement)
PLEASE FORWARD RESUMES TO: email@example.com
We thank all applicants for their interest. However, only candidates selected fro an interview will be contacted.
CANES Community Care is an equal opportunity employer.
CANES Community Care will make every effort to accommodate any needs of candidates under the Human Rights Code and accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act (AODA). Please inform us if you require any accommodation through the hiring process.